Skip to content

my not-so-great tuesday

May 29, 2009

I know it could have been worse, and I suppose it wasn’t really that bad, but wasn’t a field of daisies either.

I woke up on Tuesday morning to my roommate’s alarm clock, which meant I slept in.  I thought I had set my alarm the night before but have no memory of it going off in the morning.  I always hear my alarm no matter how much I wish I would sleep through it.  Sigh…

When I turned on the morning news, I saw that Arnie’s Restaurant was on fire.  Arnie’s on Leonard is a Grand Rapids landmark and a great place to eat.  Their bakery is fabulous!  I was devastated to see the historic building in flames!

Later that morning, a water main burst on Pearl Street in front of the Amway Grand Plaza, flooding Pearl Street and nearly ruined my plans to go to Starbucks for lunch.  I realize that it was Tuesday and not my normal Starbucks day (which is Wednesday), but I really needed to get out of the office for a while.  Thankfully, the flooding wasn’t close to the corner of Pearl & Monroe therefore it did not interfere with my plans.

Just before lunch I heard that the sidewalk caved in near the flooded area.  It still didn’t interfere with my escape-from-the-office plan, but was one more thing to add to my list of crazy happenings of the day.

Shortly after lunch, a report came through that there was a fire at the Woodland Mall food court.  The mall was evacuated; no one was injured; and the fire was put out quickly.  Could the day have been any crazier?  I knew I shouldn’t have asked.

As I pulled into the driveway after work, I heard a rather strange noise.  My stomach sank.  I knew what it was but still hoped I would find otherwise when I got out to look.  Nope – I was right.  It was a flat tire.  I called my brother first.  He was walking to class, but offered to help after his class was over.  I told him to forget about it.  I had just remembered that I have roadside assistance!

My estimated wait time was thirty minutes.  All I had wanted to do after my long day was take a nap, but it had to wait.  I comforted myself with Soy Dreams Butter Pecan “Ice Cream” while I sat on the porch waiting to be rescued.  The roadside assistance guy was right on time, and he had the tire changed within ten minutes.  He told me that the tire wasn’t a total loss and that a patch should fix it.  I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief, signed the paperwork, waved farewell to my rescuer, went straight to my room and plopped myself on the bed for a much needed nap.

I know the day could have been worse: the fires could have been deadly; the flooding deeper and more destructive; or the tire beyond repair with a bent rim.  Oh it could have been much worse than it was.  If each event had happened consecutively on separate days, that would have been odd, but they all happened in one day.  That was almost too weird.  Ah well… I am grateful my not-so-great Tuesday, along with the rest if this difficult week, is behind me!

One Comment leave one →
  1. Cristin Luea permalink
    June 1, 2009 6:05 pm

    Ummm, weird day! Glad you survived.

Have your say...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: