the joy of books and other tid-bits
Here are a couple of things on my mind today:
1. Lindsay of Young Married Mom told me about this video over the weekend. “You will love it!” she said. Well, she was right – I do love it! It makes me smile. I hope it does the same for you:
2. I read this story on Creative Minority Report this morning and then Rosario posted the link on Facebook. It is the heartbreaking story of parents who were seeking a transplant for their beautiful daughter Amelia but were denied due to her being developmentally disabled. The mother’s post ignited a fire of rage among the special needs community. Read about the amazing support Amelia and her family have received.
This struck a chord with me as I immediately thought of Sam, who has Hallermann-Streiff Syndrome and his devoted family and everything they have fought for with regards to Sam’s care.
3. The Licensed Fool from On With The Motley posted about the Kindle Cloud Reader PC/Mac, which allows you to download books to be read on your laptop or PC. There are a bunch of books available for free! I don’t want to get a Kindle because I love books (see #1), but at least I can have access to some stories that aren’t easily found in book form. My new library is stocked with books I’ve been aching to read by Elizabeth Gaskell, Baroness Orczy, Rafael Sabatini, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Alexandre Dumas, G.K. Chesterton, and many more! I’m so excited I don’t know where to start!
4. Speaking of vocations (The Licensed Fool is discerning his vocation – pray for him and all others in discernment), have you checked on the progress of this blog’s favorite seminarians recently? My brother and his class are still on their pilgrimage in the Holy Land. A different seminarian writes a reflection of their experiences each day. The posts aren’t very long, but they are inspiring! Check out their blog for your daily dose of inspiration.
5. Speaking of inspiring men, here is another video that has been making the rounds: