Skip to content

is it hot in here, or is it just me?

January 8, 2013

Maybe it’s just me and my soaring body temperature of 101.7 over the past couple of days.  For someone whose normal temperature averages a degree below the every-one-else-normal temp of 98.6, that’s pretty hot!  Truth be told, it’s not like I’ve been able to enjoy the extra heat since we all know a fever means chills.  Yup.  Those chills – the ones that seep into your bones and make you cold from the inside out and nothing will warm you up.  Ugh!

Just when I think I’m about to get back on the blogging track, something happens to throw me off course.  I spent my long holiday weekends with Karl and his family.  Normally the downtime would have been perfect for getting caught up on the backlog, but I didn’t have my laptop with me so… that was a problem.  And now I am sick.

I started feeling sick on Sunday.  I thought it was just a cold, but I had Karl drop me off at home on his way to Brooklyn to see his brother, sister-in-law, and his nephews, instead of taking me home after the visit which had been the original plan, just in case.  I didn’t want to make a big deal about a little ol’ cold, but neither did I want to take any chances with a newborn.  And it’s a good thing I stayed home.  My condition plummeted in a very short amount of time.  I was flat on my back with a horrific headache and chills before I knew what happened.

I tried to go to work on Monday (I know… just like my stubborn father).   My head was so heavy, it took everything in me to get out of bed to use the bathroom.  I looked in the mirror and gave myself a pep talk.  Then, I gargled to  a concoction my father swears by, hoping to ease the soreness in my throat, but all that tilting the head back to gargle and leaning forward to spit made me incredibly dizzy.  “Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea,” I thought.  So I crawled back into bed.

Karl called around noon to check on me.  I still hadn’t eaten.  Since I was way too tired to make anything and I didn’t have any soup in the apartment, I ordered some from a little Chinese restaurant down the street.  Ten minutes later, I was savoring delicious homemade chicken noodle soup.

I tried to watch the Big Game, but was in and out of consciousness, which made the loss a little easier to handle.

I somehow made it to work today, but my boss sent me home around noon since the chills had returned.  I guess my fever wasn’t as breakable as I thought it was.  I tried taking the E train to Port Authority to pick up my bus,  but downtown E trains weren’t running for some reason.  I was in no condition to walk, which is my usual back up plan, so I decided to take a cab.  And I’m glad I did because I had the best cab driver ever!  (I’ll save that story for another post.)  I eventually made it home and spend the rest of the day in bed, which is where I am now.  Why am I blogging and not sleeping, you ask?  I’m just waiting for the meds to kick in!

The latest thermometer reading put me at 99.7.   Between the fever reducing medication and the sleep that’s coming, I should be good for work tomorrow.  Or if anything, I’ll be in better condition than I was this morning.  I’ll just be glad when I am at my normal temperature instead of being so blasted hot.

3 Comments leave one →
  1. January 9, 2013 12:19 pm

    Boooooo! Feel better!!


  1. ~7 Quick Takes Friday – Episode 31~ | Dance Immaculata

Have your say...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: